Smoking using a Turkey Roaster

This isn't related to air fryers, but man I gotta get it out there. I love smoked food, it's uber delicious!

The first thing when you think of smoking food though, is, how do I do it? Do I really need one of these things?

Propane Smoker
Man that's expensive! That's pretty much out of the question, and of course, for city dwellers like me, the next question will be .. where the heck do I store it?

So, time to google around and think about it. After all, smoking is basically applying lower heat to some wood chips and cooking the food primarily by smoke. I tried it with my cast iron pan and it worked out pretty well! The smoked flavour was there but it I felt that there was too much heat being applied to the meat.

Well, fast forward 2 years. I now own a turkey roaster.


I bought it last Christmas as I wanted to confit turkey drumsticks, and this was basically the only affordable pan to put it in. Needless to say, I wouldn't be cooking any turkey drumsticks for a while... so... the turkey roaster would have been a big white elephant, until I realised that eh, you can smoke stuff with it!

How?!?!

Ready to go!

1 - Line the bottom of the pan with aluminium foil. This is to make it easier to clean up

2 - Scatter wood chips on the foil. We bought some really cheap hickory chips for this. We'll definitely be trying other types of chips soon!

3 - Put an oiled metal rack on top of the wood

4 - Place your meat over it

5 - Cover, close the little airholes on the lid

6 - Set to low heat for 2 hours, then higher heat for 1.
The first low heat treatment is to render the fat and seal it without sticking onto the metal rack. The last hour is to really get the smoke going!
We'll be trying to vary the time for our next experiments, stay tuned!

Done!!


Delicious!
Unlike my previous experiment, I did not replace the wood chips at all. Worked out pretty well. The wood didn't get too charred, most likely due to the larger area of the turkey roaster + the low heat.

Enjoy!

Comments